Lions add Boschee to coaching staff

A former University of Kansa basketball standout is headed to Missouri Southern, but not as a player.

Jeff Boschee, a guard with the Kansas Jayhawks from 1998-2002, will be joining Southern in a coaching role.

“He’s someone who’s played at a high level and has been out and been a successful coach at the high school level,” Head Coach Robert Corn told The Chart Thursday. “Our players understand that this man has played at a very high level and definitely knows what he’s talking about so he’ll be a great person for our guards, in particular, to learn from.”

Boschee currently serves as head boys basketball coach at The Barstow School in Kansas City. In three years at Barstow, Boschee’s teams have a comined 64-14 record. At Kansas, Boschee played in the 2002 Final Four and held the Big 12 conference record for career 3-pointers with 338 until A.J. Abrams at the University of Texas topped that mark last year. Boschee also owns the Jeff Boshee Basketball Academy in Kansas City.

“He was looking to get into the college game and he contacted me and wanted to know if there would be any possibilities so he came down and we met and I raelly enjoyed meeting with him,” Corn said. “I felt he could add a lot of things to our program so we were able to work it out where he could join us.”

Boschee joins assistant coaches Ronnie Ressel and Patrick Johnson on Corn’s staff. Ressel played basketball at Southern before graduating in 1992, and Johnson played four years at Duke University before graduating in 2005. With the addition, Southern can now boast of two assistants who played for legendary Division 1 coaches: Boschee for Roy Williams, who currently coaches North Carolina, and Johnson for Mike Krzyzewski.

“We’re just extremely excited that Jeff’s joined us,” Corn said. “I think we’ve got a great staff. With Ronnie’s experience and Patrick and Jeff playing for hall of fame coaches and great programs I think we’ve got a good blend here and I think our players will definitely benefit from it.”

Corn said Boschee will be involved in every aspect of the program, along with Ressel and Johnson.

“One of my jobs as the head coach is to prepare my assistants to be a head coach when they get the opportunity and the only way to do that is to get them out there and get them involved,” Corn said.

Both Boschee and MSSU Director of Athletics Jared Bruggeman have ties to North Dakota. Bruggeman graduated from the University of North Dakota, was a student-athlete there, and served as the university’s assistant director of athletics for compliance and student life for four years. Boschee attended high school in North Dakota and was the state’s “Mr. Basketball” for 1998.