The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Bearcats late score enough to overcome Lions

Photo courtesy of MSSU Athletics

Missouri Southern would start their season last Thursday night against the number 6 ranked Northwest Missouri State Bearcats.

The Lions however would open the game with a lot of energy mounting a 14-0 lead after two Luke Sampson touchdown passes. One to David Bethune from 45 yards out and one to Deontay Campbell from 10 yards out.

“We have to find a way to sustain that same energy for a little bit longer,” Lions Head Coach Atiba Bradley stated.

However the number 5 ranked Bearcats would respond and the score would be knotted up at halftime.

“Give credit to a ranked team that responded, that’s a team that is led by a senior quarterback… so 14 points they are not just going to bow down and give up,” Coach Bradley stated.

The two teams would trade scores in the third, the Lions on a 62 yard Jaedon Stoshak touchdown catch from Luke Sampson and the Bearcats on a 12 yard Trevon Alexander touchdown reception.

“Luke threw the ball really well tonight, Ezekiel Lang made some big catches and Nathan Glades got some tough yards in the first half,” Bradley stated.

The Lions would go into the fourth quarter fighting it out with one of the top teams in the Country.

“Our record didn’t indicate it last year at 4-7, but this is a good football team. These kids have grit-they have fight,” Bradley stated.

After a Lions punt, the Bearcats would respond with a 15 play, 8 minute 91 yard drive that was capped off by a Jay Harris two yard rushing touchdown. That score would be enough to put the Lions away, final score Lions 24 Bearcats 31.

“Anytime you get two football teams that are confident, well coached, and will play their tails off-that’s what you’re going to get; you are going to get a back and forth slugfest. Sometimes you are going to be on the winning end and sometimes you are going to be on the losing end,” Bradley stated.

The Lions will be back in action next week on the road vs the Washburn Ichabods at 6:00 PM in Topeka, Kansas.

“I know we will build off of this and become an even better football team,” Coach Bradley stated.