The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Esports at MSSU

MSSU URM
MSSU Esports Club vs Carl Junction

Esports is a recent and popular sport around the world, with individuals competing in various video games. In 2021, Missouri Southern State University created an Esports Club where students can engage in online gaming, competitions, and recreational play. With the rise of esports in current years, the students can use teamwork and engagement in online gaming. The esports arena is located in the downstairs area of the recreational center located in Billingsly Student Center, and it is often used by students as a hub to practice and hone in on their skills.

Despite its recent beginnings, the Esports Club at MSSU has grown remarkably fast. Elijah Daniels, an active member of the esports team acknowledges and appreciates the dedication the esports team has shown so far. By talking to people at the recreational center and handing out flyers around the school, Daniels and other esports-interested students were able to gather enough equipment and members for the club.

The Esports Club caters to a wide variety of gaming sectors, such as Call of Duty, Fortnite, Rocket League, and many more. The club allows its members to choose from a variety of games, allowing its members to choose games based on their preferences. Additionally, the Esports Club regularly hosts different gaming events and competitions with their team. The esports team consists of both a junior varsity team and a varsity team, competing in different games. In fact, despite its recent start, the Esports Club was able to make it to the play-offs twice, last semester and now this current semester. Most importantly, though, they have created a tight-knit community.

Elijah Daniels appreciates this aspect of the Esports Club. “We have gotten closer as a team, and we spend a lot of time together outside of esports as well as inside of esports to make sure that we have the chemistry necessary to bounce off each other’s plays no matter what game we play.”

Overall, the creation of the esports team at MSSU has fostered a sense of teamwork and connected individuals who have a passion for online gaming. As the esports team continues its competitive journey, it’s thrilling to anticipate the future achievements and progress the team will make.

If you would like to join the Esports Club, you can contact Steven Benfield, Director of Recreational Services, by email at [email protected] or by phone at 417-625-9693. Or you can stop by the esports arena on the bottom floor of the Recreational Center in Billingsly Student Center.