The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Lights, Camera, Campus Fun

Out of all the stellar events the campus has to offer, KGCS’ monthly movie night is arguably the coolest new event. Lydia Carlson, president of MSSU’s media club, hand-selects every movie, promotes the event, and hosts the movie night every month. 

For August, she showed Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at the KGCS studio located in Webster Hall. The studio features a brand-new LED display wall that expands from the ceiling to the floor to create the perfect movie theater experience for free. 

“[These movie nights] have been a good way to show off the LED screen and show students that we have it to use,” Carlson said.

This past Wednesday, September 27, KGCS showed the movie Twilight starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner. Approximately 15 students were in attendance and everyone had a great time. According to Carlson, “our first movie night didn’t have as many people, so it was good to see a bigger turnout.” 

A good portion of attendees were foreign exchange students. Exposing these students to Twilight was important for Carlson.

“It shows them some of the American culture. Some of them knew the movie and loved the movie and some never heard of it…so I think it was very cool,” Carlson said.

In the future, she hopes to be able to set up blankets and pillows to give the space an even more cozy atmosphere and in addition to the movie, KGCS also provides free popcorn, snacks, drinks, and souvenirs for attendees.

For October, be on the lookout for 2 more movie nights where Carlson plans to show something a little spooky to celebrate the spooky season. For more information, follow KGCS on Instagram.