The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

New Skate Ramp at MSSU

Curtis Almeter

On March 25, 2024, Missouri Southern State University unveiled its first half-pipe skate ramp, a generous gift from Nathan Bemo, a 1998 MSSU graduate and the founder of the American Ramp Company in Joplin. The dedication ceremony drew a significant crowd of students and local residents, all excited to witness the inaugural skate run featuring Julia Brueckler, a 2020 Olympian, and her partner Cody McEntire, a professional skateboarder. During the dedication ceremony, praise was also directed towards the strategic placement of the skate ramp.

Positioned near McCormick Hall and the Student Life Center, it offers students a fantastic outdoor activity to enjoy throughout the spring and summer semesters. The addition of the ramp on campus has sparked a newfound interest in skateboarding for first-year student, Mai Dorgham. In response to a request for an interview, Dorgham shared her thoughts on the ramp, saying, “I’m all about trying new things! With the great weather and the skate ramp right near the dorms, I’ve been learning the basics of skateboarding.” Overall, Nathan Bemo’s generous gift will be deeply appreciated by all current and future lions at Missouri Southern State University.