The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Lions late surge not enough to overcome Gorillas

Lions fall to #3 Pittsburg State 31-21 at home.

This Saturday the 3-3 Missouri Southern Lions would take on the #3 ranked Pittsburg State Gorillas

The Gorillas would strike first in the first quarter on a touchdown run by Antwan Squire. Squire would get the second touchdown for the Gorillas on a two-yard touchdown catch from Chad Dobson.

“They are (Pitt State) a good football team their backs run hard, their receivers make plays, their O-line works well in unison,” Head Coach Atiba Bradley said.

The Lions defense would respond and wouldn’t allow another point in the first half. The Lions offense would get a score on a one-handed touchdown catch by Deontay Campbell. The score at half would be Gorillas 14 Lions 7.

“He (Campbell) continues to shine … He’s a guy that we rely on for some big plays and he continued to do that today.” Bradley said.

Going into the fourth quarter the Lions would trail 21-7. The Gorillas and lions would trade touchdowns to make the score 28-14. The Lions would get a score on a Dylan Wright scope and score.

“They (Lions defense) battled their butts off, they never blinked, they never got down that part again should be commended,” Bradley said.

The Lions would go for the onside and not recover. The Gorillas would kick a field Goal to make the score 31-14. The Lions would get the ball back and respond with a 35-yard touchdown pass from Sampson to Campbell.

“We’ve never, never since I have been the head coach here, backed off a fight or competition, an opportunity to compete. Our guys do that, and should be commended for that, but college football isn’t all blue ribbons you know. We have to find ways to execute and ways to put plays together to beat a good football team,” Coach Bradley said.

With 2:21 left in the game the Lions would go for the Onside kick and recover, however Gorillas Coach Brian Wright would challenge the play for Illegal touching. After the review the Officials would deem that there was illegal touching and the Gorillas would get the ball and kneel out the clock.

The Lions fall to 3-4 on the year and will be on the road next Saturday taking on the 0-7 Lincoln Blue Tigers.

“I will dissect the film and figure out what we can do better, for this last third of the season,” Bradley said.