Men knocked out by Ft. Hays


Willie Brown/The Chart

Sophomore forward Stephen Atkinson battles against Pittsburg State’s defense on Jan. 16 as the Lions defeated the Gorillas 87-80 and Atkinson scored a total of 21 points.

Following a nail biting 68-66 win over Emporia State in the first round of the MIAA Tournament, the Lions headed to Kansas City’s Municipal Auditorium for a second round matchup against No. 1 seed Fort Hays State on Thursday afternoon.

Despite coming within three points late in the second half, Southern was beaten by a final score of 79-60. Marquis Addison led the Lions with 13 points despite being limited to 29 minutes thanks to foul trouble.

The loss ended Southern’s season, and top-seeded Hays will move on in the tournament.

After suffering a difficult loss to rival Pittsburg State to end the month of February, the Lions looked to get back on their feet before the MIAA tournament as they faced Central Oklahoma in the regular season finale Monday.  

The game began with Southern getting off to a hot start as it took an early  9-2 lead after a three from Cameron Cornelius. But, as the half moved forward, UCO took over.  

A strong showing from Matt Everson, who went 6-8 from the floor and 3-4 from three point range, gave the guard 17 points to lead the Lions. Jordan Talbert’s  13 points helped keep the game close throughout as the Lions went into the half trailing just 34-30.

The Bronchos took control in the second half, extending their lead to 14 points just three minutes in, a lead they would carry to the finish as UCO beat Southern 76-65.

After a loss in the last regular season game, the Lions got under way in the MIAA tournament as the No. 9 seed on Monday night, going up against the No. 8 seed Emporia State.  

The game’s first half was rather pedestrian compared to the final minutes of the contest. The Lions were aided by Talbert who led all scorers with 16 points and seven rebounds, and Marquis Addison who followed closely with 15 points, but at halftime, Southern was behind 44-34.

The second half was a different story as the Lions chipped away at the lead and eventually pulled ahead with 7:53 left thanks to a 3-pointer by Austin Wright.  

Still, as the game came to the last minute, the Lions trailed until a pair of clutch free throws from Stephen Atkinson tied the game at 66 with 31 seconds remaining.  Then it got interesting.

The Hornets were whistled for a traveling violation when the inbounder moved his feet, making it Lion ball.

After the turnover, Addison was fouled almost immediately. He knocked down both free throws, giving MSSU a 68-66 win.