Lions’ hard work pays off

Shelby Neubeck/The Chart

Back row, left to right, juniors Sydney Haase and Kylie Cornman. Front row, left to right freshman Brittani Reagan and sophomore Melanie Bower.

Following their second place performance at the MIAA Championships the women’s track team qualified four athletes in five events at the 2013 NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field Championships March 8-9 in Birmingham, Ala.

“The most prestigious and most lofty goal that you can reach is to be in the national championship. Three of these four ladies are going to be first timers,” Head Coach Patty Vavra said.

“It’s nice to see their hard work paying off.”

Freshman jumper Brittani Reagan qualified after earning a 16th ranked distance in the long jump and a 12th ranked distance in the triple jump.

Sophomore thrower Kylie Cornman qualified with an 11th ranked distance in the shot put.

Sophomore Melanie Bower and Junior Sydney Haase earned ninth and 15th ranks in the pole vault; both will be competing at the national meet.

“I really got motivated to jump higher because I jumped this high in high school.  For a while I felt like I was going downhill and I just felt like I needed to pick it back up.

So, I can be as good as I know I can be and I should be,” Haase said.

The group left for the meet Monday, for a full week of festivities and preparing for the national meet this weekend.