Lions make progress

Willie Brown/The Chart

Freshman Addie Mengwasser runs for a 10th place finish in the mile at the MSSU Invite on Feb. 2, 2013.

The Missouri Southern women’s track and field team attended the Gorilla Classic at Pittsburg State University on Saturday, April 13. The Lions earned three provisionals and took home two wins.

Freshman Brittani Reagan earned first place in the triple jump with a provisional of 39-3.75.

Sophomore jumpers Shelby Newell and Mahogany Jones followed in fourth and fifth place, respectively. Reagan also placed ninth in the 100-meter dash.

Jasmin Hughes placed fourth in the 100-meter and the 200-meter dash. Hughes finished the 100-meter with a time of 12.36 and a time of 25.24 in the 200-meter.

Sydney Potts, a junior middle distance runner, earned eighth place in the 800-meter with a time of 1:01.84.

Junior Jackie Wallace and sophomore Taitum Mead placed sixth and eighth in the 100-meter, while freshman Addie Mengwasser placed eighth in the 1500-meter.

Cassie Kendrick, a senior distance runner, earned third place in the 5K. The 4×400-meter relay team placed third with a time of 4:07.81.

“Progression’s happening, probably not as fast as we’d like it to, but they’re improving. They’re getting better,” Head Coach Patty Vavra said.

Mead placed second in the long jump with a distance of 18-05.25 followed by Reagan, freshman Kaylee Morgan, Newell and sophomore Emily Paullus in fourth, fifth, seventh and 10th place, respectively.

“You have to put 100 percent into practice every day. Focus on your weaknesses, to build those up and just get better at that particular event, then hopefully letting it all out there come conference time,” Paullus said.

Kylie Cornman, a junior thrower, placed second in the shot put with a provisional distance of 46-11. Cornman also placed sixth in the hammer.  

In the pole vault, sophomore Ashleigh McFarland earned a provisional height of 11-8 and took home first place, while junior Sydney Haase earned fourth place.

Earlier in the week, from April 10-11, the Lions also sent athletes to Cowley County Community College in Arkansas City, Kan. for the 2013 Cowley Heptathlon/Decathlon.

Morgan led the Lions with a fourth place finish and a total of 4,085 points. Freshman Miriah Johnson placed seventh with 3,801 points followed by Paullus in ninth.

“I really think having a positive attitude and not getting too worked up at a meet is good,” said Morgan.

“You can do badly at one event and still score really good on another, and then cancel it out. It’s never over until it’s over really.”