Southern finishes third

Nick Burnham/The Chart

Senior Ryan Buerk takes a swing during a practice round earlier this year. buerk has been the leader for the Lions and continues to play well, finishing tied for 28th in the las tournament.

The Lions sat in third place after day one of golf competition in the Broncho Invite presented by RCB Bank last week. On the second day, the Lions did not lose ground, but they didn’t gain any turf either.

The Lions would finish the tournament third behind conference opponents Central Oklahoma and Central Missouri. The Lions shot 311, third best of day, and finished with a score of 605, just four strokes behind second place Central Missouri.

After leading the Lions in day one, sophomore Taylor Lansford shot a 78, carding a six over under in day two. Lansford was the Lions’ top finisher for a round total of 149 (+5), ending up in a tie for 10th place. Lansford fell four spots after finishing tied for sixth on day one.

Sophomore Trae Fairchild finished with a two-day total of 150 (76-74). Fairchild shot two over in day two of competition. Fairchild was also one of the biggest movers on day two as he moved up 21 spots with his two over performance finishing tied for 15th place.

Senior Ryan Buerk finished with a two-day total of 152 (74-78) and tied for 28th. Buerk shot four shots worse than his day one performance.

Freshman Chas Goines finished in a tie for 34th with a two round total of 154 (73-81). After finishing tied 16th in day one, Goines fell 18 spots with his second-day performance of nine over. Fellow freshman Connor Neil finished with a two day total of 161 (77-84) while sophomore Phillip Roller, competing as an individual, finished with a two-day 166 (82-84).

Lansford finished tied with NCAA D-I Oklahoma State’s Stratton Nolen at five over par for the tournament.

Four Lions individuals placed in the top 40 places.

This marks the third top-three finish this season for the Lions, their second in the last three tournaments.

“We have found a group of guys that are confident in their abilities but also in the abilities of each other,” said Buerk. “We have the capabilities of the top teams.”

The Lions won’t see any action until April 13 and 14 when they travel to Topeka, Kan., to take part in the Washburn Invite at the Topeka Country Club.

The WU Invite is the only spring MIAA points event before the conference tournament the following week at the Alvamar Country Club in Lawrence, Kan.