Soccer forces draw with early second half goal

A week after their 4-2 exhibition win the Missouri Southern Women’s soccer team headed to Kansas City, MO. to face Rockhurst University. 

The Hawks struck first with a goal about halfway through the first half. At the end of the first half the score was still 1-0. The Hawks had already attempted 12 shots by the end of the first period while the Lions had attempted just 3.

Luz Galindo, Lions goalkeeper, had already recorded four saves in the first half. In comparison to one from the Rockhurst goalie. 

Around the 51 minute mark, senior Julia Liberty, was able to get the Lions on the board and tie the match at 1. She did so after sophomore Carina Calderon dribbled into the Hawks’ zone and attempted a shot that ended up in front of Liberty, who then kicked it into the right corner of the goal. Calderon picked up an assist on the play.

The Lions would play excellent defense for the remainder of the half and keep the Hawks at their one goal from the first half. Unfortunately the Hawks did a lot of the same and held the Lions at one as well. 

In the first overtime period, the Lions didn’t even attempt a shot, but kept the Hawks from scoring, despite allowing six shot attempts. During the second overtime period the Lions attempted 3 shots but were unable to get any past the goalie. Galindo stayed solid and didn’t allow either of Rockhurt’s two shot attempts to become goals. The game would end 1-1 after the end of the second OT period. 

The Hawks took a total of 25 shot attempts, 11 of which were on goal. The Lions only took 11 shots and just four were on goal. Galindo finished with 10 total saves. The Lions were called for eight fouls, five in the second half. The Hawks were called for two in the first half and none the rest of the game.

Up next for the Lions is Drury University. The Lions head to Springfield, MO. to play the Panthers on Sunday, September 2nd at 7 p.m. Drury also started their season Friday night. They began their season a lot like the Lions, with a 2-2 tie against Christian Brothers University.