Lions disappoint at home opener

The Missouri Southern Lions hosted the Lindenwood Lions Saturday night for this season’s home opener. Lindenwood started off scoring 20 unanswered, but Southern quickly scored 13 to only be down by a touchdown at half time, but came out flat as Lindenwood scored 31 in the second half to win the game 51-13.  Coach Denver’s game plan relied mostly on the running game as the Lions had 231 yards on the ground with sophomore, Caleb Batie having 151 yards on the ground.  Junior, quarterback Sean Kelly had a quiet game with 33 yards in the air with an interception with a quarterback rating of 49.1. 

Lindenwoods top performers were freshman, Cade Brister having 212 yards with three touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 144.6, Nash Sutherlin, a junior running back with 87 yard, and junior, defensive back Darrius Williams with 15 tackles.  The Lindenwood Lions had 488 yards compared to Missouri Southern’s 264.  Southern also had two fumbles one from the quarterback, Sean Kelly and freshman, linebacker Thomas Smith. 

The Missouri Southern Lions will travel to Northwest Missouri State University to play against the Bearcats in Maryville, Missouri.  The Bearcats are 2-0 with a win over Washburn University this week.  Freshman, quarterback Braden Wright had 233 yards and touchdown in the 38-17 win.  The game will be on September 15, at 1:30 p.m.