MSSU Lions basketball season review: Lions look to improve next season, finish 14-16

Lions cheering after a made basket against Pitt. on Feb. 19

After losing to the University of Central Oklahoma 68-60 in the first round of the MIAA tournament the Lions season has came to an end.

The Lions ended their season with a MIAA record of 6-13, and overall record of 14-16.

Throughout the season the Lions were able to clinch in nine home wins to while only losing six

“I think we had a positive season overall,” said senior Chelsea Henry. “As I look back, there’s so many games we should’ve won but I know the girls learned through it. I was hoping for a better final record and I wish the best for the team next season. I will miss it more than anything.”

The Lions will lose two players this year senior Laure Assena, and Henry. Assena and Henry having valuable minutes to the team the Lions will look to fill those roles with recruits and lower classman preparing this summer and excelling in their game.

Assena averaged 4 points per game, 3 rebounds, while shooting 41 percent from the field. Henry also contributed 16 points per game, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists. The Neosho standout played 32 minutes a game and shot 40 percent from the field.

“My favorite memories at Southern have to do with basketball,” Henry said. “I’ll never forget looking into the stands and seeing my family there… all 50 of them.

“I’ll never forget surpassing the 1,000-point mark, If I close my eyes I can put myself back in that moment, my teammates, the crowd, my family. I have been so fortunate with amazing memories here at Southern and I will forever treasure them.”

The Lions will return junior Destiny Cozart, freshman Kaiulani Jones, freshman Marlee Lett, freshman Layne Skiles, sophomore Zoe Campbell, freshman Amber Buch, redshirt sophomore Brokke Stauffer, junior Chasidee Owens, sophomore Morgan Brightwell, freshman Madi Stokes, sophomore Krista Clark, and junior Jordan Schoenberger.

The Lions switched up their starting lineup a few times this year so many players have gotten an opportunity to play some already.

Clark who fell in the Lions last game has underwent surgery after finding out she tore her ACL. Clark looks to make a speedy recovery after gaining some strength back in her leg through a lot of rehab.

“I think we have a chance to be really good next year,” Brightwell said. “We have 12 out of 14 people returning so we’ve got a good group who already knows the system and what’s expected of us and realize the potential of what we could be.

“We lost Chelsea who was a big scorer for us, but we’ve got people who are ready to step up and fill that role.”