Southern Theatre opener is Beyond Therapy

Kent Phillips, junior theatre major, makes a strong point to Ashley Trotnic, sophomore theatre major, in Southern Theatres latest production. The play opens Sept. 17.

Glenn Landberg

Kent Phillips, junior theatre major, makes a strong point to Ashley Trotnic, sophomore theatre major, in Southern Theatre’s latest production. The play opens Sept. 17.

The upcoming production of Beyond Therapy had actors losing more than their inhibitions.

Noted by the cast for its “terribly funny,” final act, the cast and directors employed a new method to keep actors from breaking character.

“We kind of had a “strip-poker” rehearsal,” said Kyle Maloney, junior theatre major. “So, we all agreed that we would have a rehearsal where every time someone broke character, they would have to take off an article of clothing. Let’s just say most of us were blushing.”

The first play of Southern Theatre’s season focuses on the relationship issues of the two main characters, Prudence, played by Ashley Trotnic, sophomore theatre major, and Bruce, played by Maloney, along with their therapists. The show, opening at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 17 is directed by student director Brandi Hoofnagle, senior theatre major. Hoofnagle, a frequent face on Southern’s stage in past years, believes to be a good actor one must also be a good director.

“At the end of the day, being a director makes you have more respect for directors as an actor,” she said. “You understand that they have a vision and that we are all working for the same goal.”

Hoofnagle also said directing her peers wasn’t as hard as she expected as she knew how to relate them on a personal level.

“I think we were more comfortable with Brandi on a different level than we are with any members of the faculty,” Trotnic said.

To prep for their eccentric characters, student actors did everything from keeping journals to creating an indepth character past.

“I really tried to dive into his past and understand his background,” Maloney said. “Bruce and I have a lot in common, actually.

“We both have this constant desire to appease everyone, which is really an impossible task.”