Golf finishes 3rd in MIAA, Eddy, Hogenmiller named All-MIAA

The Missouri Southern Lions shot the low round on the day, two strokes off the low round for the tournament, and finished third at the 2009 MIAA Golf Tournament at Shoal Creek Golf Club in Kansas City.

Sophomore Seve Smith (Webb City) rebounded from a tough first day to shoot a 71 and finish tied for 15th in the tournament. Junior David Eddy (Carl Junction) finished his strong tournament with a final-round 72 and in fifth place overall.

Freshman Andy Hogenmiller (Washington) shot a final round 72 and was ninth overall, while sophomores Taylor Griffith (Carthage) and Jamie Voegelli (Muskogee, Okla.) shot a final round 74 to finish 20th and 24th respectively.

Sophomore Stephen Boyd and senior David Clark finished 29th and 34th respectively.

Washburn led from start to finish, topping second-place Central Missouri by 20 strokes.

The Mules, who had won every MIAA points event coming into the tournament, won the overall MIAA title by a margin of 4.5 points.

The Lions finished in third in both the tournament and final season standings and were followed in the tournament standings by Truman, Southwest Baptist, Missouri Western, Pittsburg State and Fort Hays State.

Both Eddy and Hogenmiller were named to the All-MIAA squad, with Hogenmiller taking home MIAA Freshman of the Year Honors. Griffith was named an honorable mention All-MIAA selection.

The Lions will wait and see if they’ve made the NCAA Super Regional which will be hosted by Grand Valley State on May 4-6 in Allendale, Mich. at the Meadows Golf Club.

Hogenmiller led the Lions all season averaging a score of 74.5 and had his best game at the MIAA Championships, shooting a 51.