Stolen car found on campus

Missouri Southern Campus Police found a stolen Ford Taurus on campus on Wednesday.

“Apparently it had been there a while,” said Ken Kennedy, director of public safety. “What was interesting is that a girl in the area took it upon herself to try and find out what was up with that car.”

Kennedy said the “Nancy Drew” looked through the glove box and found the name of the owner. She then locate the owner on Facebook and got in touch. The owner of the Taurus had reported the vehicle stolen in 2008. She lives in Georgia.

“Once she found out the car was stolen, she notified campus police,” Kennedy said. “We checked it in the computer, found out the car was registered ‘stolen,’ processed it and had it towed.”

The owner of the vehicle will have to come and pick it up.

“We were able to recover a stolen car because a student had enough initiative to take it upon herself to figure out whose car it was,” Kennedy said. “She did a good job. We were lucky enough to get it back from the victim and she can thank the girl who took the initiative to check on it.”

The person who found the vehicle wishes to remain anonymous.

Kennedy said the campus police encourage people to report any suspicious activities seen on campus.

“We can do our jobs better when people become our eyes and ears and let us know when things are strange.”