University to offer foreign language night classes

Starting spring semester, Missouri Southern will be offering foreign language night classes. 

“It’s a chance to reach out to students who might not be able to take classes during the day and don’t want to take an online class,” David Jenkins, assistant professor of Spanish, said. 

French and German classes will be offered on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. 

“The reason why I try to put the emphasis on German and French is that with Spanish, they don’t have problems trying to get students, we do, so the more we have the better,” Beatrice Dubuis, assistant professor of French, said. 

“Spanish may also be offered at night next semester because we are spread so thin and our on-campus classes tend to be very full during the day,” Jenkins said. 

The classes offered will be for beginners at level 101. 

“We will start with level one and we will continue with level two, level three, level four in the following semesters in the evening so people who started in the evening can continue,” Dubuis said.

According to Jenkins, it may be possible to offer multiple sections at night for students which could result in bringing on more faculty to handle those added classes, provided there is enough interest amongst students.  

“I don’t think we’ve reached everybody yet,” Dubuis said. “Even in our pool of students there are those with children and other responsibilities and may not be able to attend class during the morning or the afternoon, but night classes give them the opportunity to do so.”

For more information about the foreign language night classes you may contact Dubuis about French, Dr. Sabine Cramer about German and Susana Liso about Spanish. 

A full list of foreign language classes that will be offered during the spring can be found in the course catalog as well as the times they are available. 

Foreign language classes will be offered at night beginning next semester. French and German classes will be offered on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6 p.m.