Open house reveals new-look Ummel

Recently, Ummel Technology Center has undergone several renovations to promote Missouri Southern’s biology and environmental health department. Those improvements were revealed at an open house on Tuesday.  

Students, faculty and staff were able to tour the building and see what changes had been made to the building.

“I love the new labs,” Brittany Lampe, junior secondary education major, said.  

“I have used microscopes since seventh grade, but these new ones hook up to the computer at the stations.  

“It is so convenient to be able to save picture of what will actually be used on the test, and the cadaver lab is a great experience to learn about the human body and how it works.”

In all, four different labs were built: two anatomy and physiology labs, a human physiology lab, and a human cadaver lab.  

During the open house, the cadaver lab seemed to draw the most attention from attendees, including Southern administrators.

“I was very impressed with the technology,” University President Dr. Bruce Speck said.  

“I have no expert background in the sciences, but Dr. Lemmons, who is the head of the biology department, believes that our cadaver lab is better than ones she has seen at major universities.”

“I toured the new facilities with an area doctor who was very impressed with the labs,” JoAnn Graffam, vice president of development, said.

“The new technology in this building is going to help prepare our students to become better employees.  

“Employers are looking for people with certain skill sets, which these facilities will help to develop.”

Aside from the advanced technology, the new labs allowed the department to offer more than 24 lab courses.

The building also includes a classroom with ITV capabilities and Smart Board technology, student study rooms that give access to models and other materials students in these majors would need, and office space for faculty members.

The department also offered a fact sheet explaining the expected increase in demand for career in various medical fields by 2016.  

In 2025, it is expected that a large number of health care providers will also be retiring, offering job opportunities that these new facilities will help prepare them for.  

Flyers announcing the date of this year’s Biomedical Sciences Careers Fair were handed out.  

Representatives from schools offering degrees in various medical fields will be attending to talk to students.  

There will also be several break-out sessions to help answer students’ questions.  

The fair will be held on Thursday April 5 from 3 to 6 p.m. in the Billingsly Student Center.