Future Lions Day shows off University

Campus tours will be part of the annual Future Lions Day event this Saturday, Feb. 4.

The event is designed to introduce local high school students to the campus and encourage them to consider Missouri Southern as a destination for their college career.

Future Lions Day is an event that highlights the experiences that can be shared on campus.

The students will be able to watch both the men’s and women’s basketball games, meet with advisers from various departments and learn about financial aid and scholarships.

With student enrollment numbers down, recruitment is more important than ever. Nathan Hicks, missions counselor and tour coordinator, educates potential students on the benefits of attending Southern.

Hicks, along with other campus tour employees, travels to the local high schools where they hang posters and talk with students about the University. Hicks uses his own experiences as a student to convey the benefits of starting a career at Southern.

“At Missouri Southern you are not a number, teachers know you by name and give you one-on-one attention,” Hicks said.

He also explained that during his career at Southern, he completed two internships with state legislators, an opportunity that he believes he would not have had at a school with more students.

Michelle Ponce, an admissions counselor, is in charge of creating the posters that are hung throughout the high schools. Ponce tries to keep the posters modern and appealing to students while convincing them to come see the campus.

“I try to create intrigue for the school,” Ponce said.

There are currently around 30 students expected to attend tomorrow’s event.

People who cannot attend but are interested in more information about the University or would like to take a campus tour may contact the Admissions Department at 417-625-9364 or e-mail them at mssu.edu/admissions.