Area rallies to Muslims’ aid

Courtesy of Kimberly Kester

The Joplin Islamic Society on Black Cat Road smolders into the morning after a fire consumed the building Aug. 6. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but it is still being called ‘suspicious.’

The cause of the fire that burned down the Islamic Center of Joplin on Aug. 6 has not yet been determined.

The case has not closed and is still considered ‘suspicious.’

Federal investigators have announced that there is not enough physical evidence to conclude the cause of the fire.

Missouri Southern currently has 35 Muslim students enrolled in the International English Program.

Kimberly Kester, Director of International English Program, said this has not affected enrollment, nor does she think it will affect future enrollment in the program.

“The majority of the students enrolled in the program are from Saudi Arabia,” she said.

“Because their visas are issued so far in advance, the fire didn’t stop them from coming to America.

“They had already made plans to come here,” Kester said.

Jawaher Al Mutawa traveled to America with her husband and two children only a week before classes began.

She did not know about the mosque fire until after she arrived in America.

“[I am] not afraid,” Al Mutawa said. “[I] feel sad [for] what’s happened.”

Mutawa said that her family is adjusting well to America and likes it here very much.

They feel very comfortable in Joplin.

Humad Al Jarah, president of the Saudi Student Organization, said that the attitude of the students in the organization has not changed due to the fire.

They are all still happy to be here.

“[We do not judge] the mistake of one person for everyone [in America],” Al Jarah said.

Ashley Carter, a student at Ozark Christian College, organized an event called ‘Neighbors — Joplin Mosque Rally’ to support to area Muslims.

Hundreds of Joplin and area residents attended the event.

“We send a message to the world that we will not let anger or hate or ignorance or fear win,” Carter said, speaking to the crowd.

Carter said that she believes peace starts when people respond to hatred in love.

Over $400,000 has been raised to rebuild the Joplin mosque, exceeding the $250,000 goal.