Senate approves donation

This week, Student Senate approved a donation recommended by the finance committee to the Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME) student chapter to go on a field trip. 

SME asked for a $1,054.95 donation for a field trip they will be going on. 

The senate unanimously approved a donation of $1,000, stating that they think it would be good for MSSU and would promote networking.

The senate reported on decisions being discussed at the committee level. 

Ryan Prisock, capitol improvement chair, reported that the committee is still in the process of discussing the idea of purchasing a Lion statue to be placed on campus. 

The senate will vote on this at the next meeting after the committee meets again.

Other things that the finance committee will be discussing are placing lockers in some of the buildings. 

This would also help fund the senate because they would charge a fee for the students to use them. 

The senate is also discussing improving the tunnel walkway underneath Newman Road, putting grass on the residence hall side of campus and putting benches by the sand volleyball court as an extension on the volleyball court project. 

The senate will be voting on the proposal at the next meeting, after the committees meet again.

Molly Shumaker, public relations chair, reported that the committee will soon be staffing the office, so during the day, someone will be there to represent the senate. 

The senate is also planning to coordinate with the first year experience office to have people who can represent the senate at events.

The senate will also be participating in the homecoming parade this year.  

The goal of this is not to win the prize money, but to get their name out for students, Shumaker said.

Cody Martin, treasurer and finance committee chair, presented a donation opportunity to the senate.