Legacy Day offers unique look at Southern

Tomorrow, Missouri Southern will host its 14th annual Legacy Day for children of alumni or current students.

“It’s a day to welcome legacies of alumni to Missouri Southern and get them thinking green and gold,” Elisa Bryant, alumni relations coordinator, said.

Based off of a program at a larger university, Legacy Day began in 1999 as a free service to alumni and as a way to promote Southern to potential students through their parents, Lion alums.

“You bring them on to campus when they’re young and you engage them in interactive classes and tours on campus,” Lee Pound, alumni director, said. 

“Then when they start to think about going to college they remember how much fun they had at Missouri Southern and they want to continue that legacy within their family.”

Children ages 5 to 17 are welcome to participate in the event and will be separated into two age groups.

“The groups of 5 to 13 year olds are in interactive classes, making green and gold and lion stuff to take home,” Bryant said. “The age group of 14- to 17-year olds take a tour and learn about what college is like.”

All participants will receive free T-shirts and tickets to the football game against Truman State.

Members of registered student organizations within the education department, as well as the chemistry and criminal justice clubs, will teach the classes.

Registration for Legacy Day will take place from 11:30 a.m. to noon in the bottom floor of the Taylor Education Building. Interactive classes will take place from noon to 2:30 p.m. and will be followed by the MSSU Lions home football game at 3 p.m.

“We’re looking forward to another great year and we appreciate the support of the entire campus because it does take everyone to be able to pull off an event like this and make everyone feel at home when they come back on campus,” Pound said.

For more information about Legacy Day, contact the MSSU Alumni Association at 659-5466.