Trick is a treat in CAB sponsored magic show

Michael Kent is scheduled to present his hybrid comedy/magic show at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, in Corley Auditorium.

“We’re pretty excited to have him,” said Landon Adams, director of student activities. “Some of our Campus Activity Board (CAB) members saw him at [the National Association of Campus Activities] showcase … They thought he was awesome; he was very personable.”

Kent has been nominated for numerous campus activities awards including Best New Rising Star, Best Small Venue Artist, and Entertainer of the Year by Campus Activities Magazine for 2012 and 2013.

“He performs at about 80 colleges a year,” Adams said. “He’s traveled to 40 states within a year.”

Kent has traveled the world during his career, performing at the Magic Castle in Hollywood and performing for US troops serving in South Korea.

Adams said the decision to host the event in Corley stems from the venue’s intimacy.

Kent’s performance lampoons the concept of traditional “top-hat and rabbit” magic by blending a healthy dose of irreverence and audience participation into the mix. He prefers to think of himself as a professional smartass rather than a magician.

“There’s one trick that he’s got that’s particularly cool,” Adams said. “It’s called his ‘repair’ trick. He blows up a balloon, pops it and then he restores it. It’s kind of his own trick that he’s created; he begins the trick with empty hands and ends the trick with empty hands.”

For further information on the show, contact Landon Adams at (417) 625 -9669.