Club requests funds for academic trip

A request for funds to visit the Glore Psychiatric Museum brought Halloween spirit to the financial committee’s hearing of appeals for appropriations following the Student Senate meeting last Wednesday.

Psych Club was motivated by the upcoming Halloween holiday to invite members to an event to celebrate the season. Rather than visiting a haunted house, the club planned a trip that involves an educational element. Chase Starr, Psych Club president and senior psychology major, believes that this trip will allow Psych Club members an opportunity to learn and experience psychiatric care in a way that is not available on the campus.

The Glore Psychiatric Museum is known as one of the 50 most unusual museums in America. It uses artifacts, interactive displays, audio-visuals and full-sized replicas to guide the visitor through the history of psychiatry beginning in the 16th century.

The museum is located on the grounds of former State Lunatic Asylum No. 2 in St. Joseph, Miss. This psychiatric hospital opened in 1874 and cared for thousands of mental health patients, as well as those suffering from tuberculosis.

Dr. George Glore has worked since the 1960s to create Glore Psychiatric Museum so that visitors can understand the history of psychiatric care and lessen the negative attitudes associated with it.

Starr said, “As future representatives and ambassadors for the field of mental health care, this is important for us to understand the full scope and the evolution of our field … so that we can be better informed as we take part in where it goes from this point.”

Psych Club asked the committee for about $250 to cover museum tickets and gas expenses. The club plans to fundraise, but struggles to raise revenue as they must share their funds with Psi Chi, the psychology honors society.

It was also announced that the current Student Senate budget is $57,054.61.

Brooklyn Lampe was named Faculty Senate representative and Raymond Dunaway was named Staff Senate representative. Two junior and two senior Student Senate positions are currently available to interested students.