Future employers mentor students in preparation for spring career fair

Many students switch majors several times during their college careers. Career Services is holding a career and major exploration this fall for students who want to learn more about the career fields different majors can offer.  

Nicole Brown, head of Career Services, said, “The fall career and major exploration event is an opportunity for students to explore major and minor options available at MSSU and connect with professionals working in the industry in the breakout sessions.”  

This event is a big opportunity for students who don’t know what career they want to pursue and need helping finding out.

In the past the department held a regular career fair, with employers recruiting students for jobs and internships, in conjunction with the majors and minors fair in the fall.  However, they realized from employers’ responses that most students are not prepared to approach employers in the fall semester.

Employers now offer mentorship and opportunities instead of recruiting. They will be back on campus in the spring to recruit for positions and internships.  

Brown said, “We want to give students the opportunity to make educated decisions about major and minor selection and learn about career opportunities available within various fields.

Oftentimes students choose a major without a lot of knowledge about career opportunities in the field.

There are a lot of great professionals in the community willing to help students learn about various career paths and we want to connect them with MSSU students.”

This event is free for all students and will be held in the third floor ballroom at the Billingsly Student Center from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 2.