ROAR fund doesn’t add up

Jesse O. Walls

While The Chart has reported on the proposed ROAR fund in the past few issues, there are many questions that remain unanswered. It is safe to say that not everyone on the staff is wearing rose-colored glasses when it comes to this hike in tuition costs.

From the moment this fund was proposed by Randon Coffey, director of athletic marketing and corporate sales, during a student senate meeting on Feb. 28, many questions have swam through my mind. First is why the athletics department tries to pass this off as something that will benefit the entire campus, when in truth it will only benefit a select few. Though the Campus Activities Board will be seeing some of the money, a mere 10%, most of it is being shoveled into sports.

Now I’m not against sports, but there are plenty of other areas that are truly in need of some funding. The argument for this by ROAR fans is any department can make a proposal for money, as if that rationalizes voting yes for this fund; it does not. What people need to remember is MSSU is an institution of learning and education, and that is not where this hike in tuition is going. This increase is basically going to one department, which is not utilized by everyone on campus.

The next concern is why the athletics department feels we should pay $4 more per credit hour, up to $60 a semester, but  give away two free tickets per student to sporting events. Not only that, but let’s throw in money for the concession stand while we’re at it. Why not just put the money for the tickets and the concession stand on each student’s Lion Card and let them decide how they use it?

Why should student tuition make up  for the shortfall in sports funding that is due to the lack of event  attendance?

While people argue ROAR will recharge athletics and build student spirit, the question is, should the athletics version of ‘student spirit’ be recharged on our dime?