Student learns from transitional living facility

Kylar Theilen, sophomore psychology major, works as a resident assistant at LovinGrace transitional living facility in Joplin.

Photo Courtesy of Kylar Theilen | The Chart

Getting paid to be a mentor is the kind of job a person like Kylar Theilen couldn’t resist. For the sophomore studying psychology at Missouri Southern, LovinGrace was the perfect jumpstart to a future career in counseling.

LovinGrace is a transitional living facility and a safe house in Joplin for young women ages 18 to 24 who are homeless, coming out of foster care or living without a network of support.

Theilen’s position as resident assistant includes an evening and overnight shift at the LovinGrace house, where she spends time with the residents as someone they can talk to or who can help them with homework or other everyday household tasks, such as cleaning.

“As an RA, I monitor curfews, keep a log of what occurs during my shift, put on movie nights, cook dinner with the girls and help keep the house in order,” said Theilen.

The house serves the purpose of providing a safe place in a caring Christian environment to help the young women get on their feet, Theilen said.

The program encourages women to get a GED and a job, and attend church or do community service to increase the positive influences in their lives.

The experience Theilen is earning has broadened her outlook on life and may be very beneficial to her desired future career in counseling high school students.

“I can’t imagine what a lot of the girls have had to endure,” said Theilen. “It has made me that much more grateful for all that I have been blessed with and has really opened my eyes to the sad reality that a lot of people face.”

The task of being a compassionate and good role model is no challenge for Theilen, according to her mom.

“Kylar is caring,” said Karla Theilen. “I believe she’s a good role model, and even though she’s kind and sweet, she is not afraid to stand up for what she believes to be right and believes in following the rules.”

Not only has Theilen been an influence on the young women at the house, the young women have had an influence on her as well.

“I absolutely love my job,” said Theilen. “I hope that I can make a positive impact on the girls that I will come into contact with at LovinGrace, as I know that they have and will continue to teach me and help me grow.”