FAFSA deadline approaches

Financial Aid Secretary Mayra Gonzalez assists students with filling out FAFSA paperwork for the upcoming school year. The financial aid office is located on the first floor of Hearnes Hall. Photo illustration, taken on Wednesday, Feb. 25.

Molly Schons/The Chart

Paying for college is something students have to think about, and an important deadline is quickly approaching.

Each school year, students seeking financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application deadline for the 2015-16 year is April 1.

During March, Missouri Southern’s financial aid office staff will be available to help students complete their renewal forms during regular office hours, Mon.–Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“If you are a returning student, you do not have to start from scratch,” said Becca Diskin, financial aid director at Southern. “It will allow you to change any personal information such as phone number or address, plus input 2014 tax information.”

Before going by the financial aid office, there are a few things you will need to get together.

“Students should bring their FAFSA pin number (or request online, if forgotten), 2014 income tax information,” said Diskin. “If the student is dependent for FAFSA purposes, they will need their parents 2014 tax information as well.”

Diskin said she strongly encourages students to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA application to import tax information directly.  This process will make the application more accurate, save time and reduce paperwork.

“We encourage students to take advantage of this to verify all information is entered correctly,” said Amber Lewis, financial aid counselor. “It also helps because we give individual attention. We also enjoy interacting with our students, especially when asking questions.”

The financial aid office assists between 100-150 students each year through this event. The process should take approximately 30 minutes.

If you have specific questions regarding your financial aid situation, please contact the financial aid office directly at 417-625-9325.