College prepares Financial Aid Fair

Students have the opportunity to learn all about the different aspects of financial aid it the upcoming Financial Aid Fair.

“There are students who aren’t aware of the services they’re available to get,” said Kathy Feith, financial aid counselor. “We’re trying to get the information out.”

A large list of businesses and agencies will be attending the fair, including Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority, Commerce Bank and FAFSA.

Consumer Credit Counseling will be conducting workshops for those struggling with college debt.

Feith encourages students to attend to find out exactly what they may qualify for.

“We have students who don’t feel they qualify for aid, and then they don’t file,” Feith said. “Many students are surprised to find out that they do qualify.

“It’s designed to help the student all the way around to get more information.”

The fair is free to all students, along with food, door prizes and drawings for two $250 scholarships and a $500 scholarship. This is the first year for the fair, put on by the office of financial aid.

Originally in control of the fair was Cheryl Dobson, financial aid counselor.

Dobson is currently out for medical reasons, leaving Feith in charge. Assisting in the fair is the Public Relations Society of America.

“We helped get sponsors for the fair, get people to help distribute fliers, and handle the press release,” said Craig Jones, junior communications major.

“Hopefully, everyone will benefit in some way or another,” Feith said.

“It’s not going to hurt you to apply. What do you have to lose?”

The Financial Aid Fair takes place from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday in the Billingsly Student Center.