Students make plans for spring break fun

Whether students are taking back a couple shots of Tequila in a Mexican dance club, or working the evening shift at work, spring break is just around the corner.

Just one more week to go.

Some students are forking over hundreds of dollars and traveling to many of the hottest spring break destinations in the world. Others are staying in Joplin.

Regardless of the destination, it’s the week-long break that’s attracting most students.

“I’m looking forward to the parties,” said Stacey Howell, junior sociology major.

Howell and eight of her friends are making the trip to Cancun, Mexico.

Howell is the first to admit she and her friends aren’t flying south for the spicy food and the distinct culture.

They are going to party, and party hard.

“We’ve been planning this trip since September,” Howell said. “I’ve been to Mexico before, but it’s always been with my family.”

Also in the group of eight Southern students are Howell’s brother and her boyfriend. Through a local travel agency, each member in the group spent around $820 for a package that includes airfare, hotel, food, passes to dance clubs and the opportunity to try a variety of water sport activities.

“The money was definitely worth it,” she said.

Bonnie Mattix, receptionist for Great Southern Travel Services in Joplin, said business has been busy over the past couple months with student inquiries.

“We’ve sold a lot of spring break college packages,” Mattix said.

Students hoping to find a last-minute deal may be out of luck.

“Things are pretty tight,” she said. “Everything is booked.”

Great Southern has sold about 100 packages for college students. Mattix said the most popular destination this year for students is Mexico, primarily the resort town, Cozumel. Agents have sold plans for South Padre Island, Texas, and a few to Florida. Most trips run from $500-$1,000.

“Most are going to Mexico destinations,” Mattix said.

Raven Bartell, junior criminal justice major, doesn’t have any major plans for the break, but is looking forward to the time off.

“I’ll probably go home and lounge around,” Bartell said. “It will be nice taking it easy and relaxing.”

However, if a little financial luck strikes Bartell, she hopes to take a road trip to Panama City, Fla. She wants to head to the ocean.

“Wherever, I don’t care,” she said. “I just want to go to the beach.”

Although spending nearly $1,000 for a trip to Mexico may seem like a lot of money to some, Howell is not worried about the finances. She is ready for a few days off and the opportunity to spend some time with friends.

“We just want to have a good time,” she said.