León reports future to Board of Regents

Dr. Julio León, University President

Dr. Julio León, University President

In the Board of Regents meeting Feb. 28, College President Julio León looked to the future of Missouri Southern and higher education.

León said Gov. Bob Holden has issued an order to withhold $490,000 from higher education to help balance an expected $350 million state debt this year.

“From $2 million to $490,000, it’s a lot better,” León said. “It still hurts some, but it’s obviously manageable.”

He said Southern cannot, however, be overly optimistic. There are still five months remaining in the fiscal year, and last year, $1.6 million was withheld from the College in the last two fiscal months.

“Next year, it’s a different story,” León said.

He said the governor and legislators are working to protect higher education. Of an expected $700 million state budget cut, only 1/4 of 1 percent ($47,000) is expected to be taken from higher education.

León, however, once again cautioned the Regents.

“I just don’t think that’s going to hold,” he said.

Glenn Wilson, Board president, echoed León.

“I think it’s going to be another rough year,” he said.

León said Southern, on the other hand, can expect some upcoming positive results in the legislature. He said the name change is making progress.

The name-change bill, with four amendments, has been sent to the House and is awaiting assignment to committee.

The four amendments include a statewide international mission, graduate programs in cooperation with other universities, associate degree programs removed and a statewide Board of Regents.

“I think it’s very important for us,” León said.

Dr. Chad Stebbins, director of the Institute of International Studies, gave a presentation about the Institute. León said the presentation was timely because of the international mission amendment added to the name-change bill.

“I believe that this year we’re going to be very close to breaking the record we set two years ago of 235 study abroad students,” Stebbins said.

He said this is a possibility even though last year the College saw a decrease in student and faculty study abroad. He believes this decrease was due to the Sept. 11, 2001 attack and College budget cuts.

Stebbins also reported on international trips that will take place during spring break, intercession and the summer. He also spoke about individual trips students have taken.

Stebbins said the majority of Southern students do not travel, “so we try to bring the world to them in a couple different ways.”

These two ways include the fall theme semesters and foreign language courses.

“Our theme semesters are getting some good publicity nationwide,” he said.

He also said enrollment in foreign language courses has grown every year since the introduction of the international mission in 1996.

Dr. Terri Agee, vice president for business affairs, said a few more adjustments will be made on Duquesne Road in the crosswalk construction. A fence will be added onto the top of the concrete barrier, along with reflective stripping. Parking lot entrances into Webster Hall will also be closed.

She also reported the campus street signs have come in and have now been placed.

“I want to thank (Student) Senate for all their help,” Agee said.

Dr. Larry Martin, vice president for academic affairs, announced the retirement of Dr. Ann Allman, associate professor of the Student Support Center, who has been at the College for 15 years.

The next Board meeting is tentatively scheduled for Friday, March 28.