Students voice opinion on landscaping grounds

Some say a first impression can last a lifetime.

The grounds of this campus leave a first impression of Missouri Southern on international students, prospective students and visitors alike.

Many students at Southern, such as Kendall Freeman, sophomore elementary education major, see the campus grounds as adequate, but see room for improvement.

“I particularly enjoy the outside courtyards to sit and study or spend time with friends,” Freeman said. “I’d like to see more courtyards or common areas for students to gather.”

A suggestion from Kirsten Bledsoe, senior sociology major, is to make the campus of Southern more inviting.

“It needs to be beautified,” Bledsoe said. “It’s far too mundane, and something needs to be done. Some trees, possibly dogwoods, since they are the state tree, and gerber daisies should be added, both of which would add warmth and pizzazz to our pending university campus.”

Randy Murray, sophomore biology major, can see potential for more attractive landscaping by building on what already exists.

“There’s a lot of trees and plants on campus, but I think they could landscape around them a little better, maybe have a rock garden outside in the front,” he said.

The first impression Southern will convey in the coming spring and summer months will fall into the hands of five individuals.

Each of the five members of the grounds keeping staff will maintain a specified zone of land on campus.

Two temporary staff members will be hired in the summer.

Bob Harrington, director of the physical plant, expressed confidence from the past performance of the grounds keepers and in the future work they will do for Southern.

“I think the grounds crew does an outstanding job,” Harrington said. “They work outside in all weather conditions; whether it’s moving the snow or mowing and planting in the summer, they take excellent care of the campus, and I’m very proud of the job they do.”

A five-year landscaping plan for Southern has been submitted from Harrington’s office and will address many aesthetic issues on campus.

The plan calls for sidewalk additions, for more trees to be planted, a building by building landscape analysis, and the creation of new student gathering points.