Alleged stalking results in arrest

An ongoing incident of alleged stalking related to a personal relationship dispute led to an arrest on Missouri Southern’s campus April 1.

Despite the arrest, Ken Kennedy, manager of safety and security, said stalking is not a problem on campus.

“It’s not the first time it’s been reported, but I wouldn’t consider it a problem,” he said.

This was an isolated incident between two students, but many students on campus have expressed confusion about why exactly the arrest occurred.

According to security reports, the incident began March 14 when the first report was made. A male sophomore computer information science major and a female sophomore accounting major were involved in an altercation. Craig Richardson, security officer, separated the two, and Richardson advised the female to file an ex parte order against the male student, and the Joplin Police Department was contacted.

No charges were made at the time, but a report was put in JPD’s records.

On April 1, security was contacted again regarding the situation, and the JPD was informed of the circumstances.

The JPD then contacted Adam Griffin, residence hall director, and later, Richardson and Deb Gipson, residence life director, were able to get in contact with the male student.

Griffin said he could not give further comment about the situation.

“As an employee of the school and in this position, I owe it to the students to keep this confidential,” he said.

That afternoon, security was contacted again and the female student gave a witness report. The JPD arrived, and Officer Justin Keller took a statement from her, and a complaint for stalking was signed.

The JPD arrested the male on charges of suspicion for stalking on International Boulevard and Newman Road. He was taken to the city jail and later posted bail.

“We left security, and he just happened to be walking across [Newman Road],” Keller said.

Kennedy said upon the officer’s investigation, it was determined that the student should be taken into custody.

“Anything that’s a violation of the law or a safety issue, we report to the police, and they come in,” he said.

Keller said the male student allegedly violated stalking laws.

“Basically, that was it on the second time,” he said.

Both students declined to comment.