Southern students face war deployment

Operation Iraqi Freedom has hit home for many Missouri Southern students.

Not only have more than 20 Southern students been given full refunds due to deployment, but many more students are on call and still attending classes.

Senior graphic design major Christine Thrasher was due to be discharged in February, however, she was called in January and put on call until June 2004.

“As of Jan. 15, they extended everyone’s term another year,” she said.

Thrasher is a Marine corporal. She enlisted in 1995.

“I was the baby of the family and wanted to get out of the house,” she said. “I didn’t think I’d have the opportunity to do that without an organization like the military.”

She said she hasn’t experienced any animosity from the College or community about her possible deployment.

Senior criminal justice major Casey Highland agreed.

“Mothers come up to me and say ‘I’m praying for you’ or hug me and tell me about their son or daughter who is fighting in the war,” he said.

Highland, who ships off for Marine boot camp June 3, was asked to lead the Pledge of Allegiance at the support the troops rally held April 4 in front of Hearnes Hall.

“That was a huge honor when Sen. Nodler asked me to speak,” Highland said.

The war protesters don’t bother Highland and Thrasher.

“I think their hearts are in the right place; we just have a different view as military people,” Thrasher said.

“I’m glad there are protesters,” Highland said. “That means Americans are voicing their opinions. If you’re an American you have that right.

“I saw a thing on MTV, a true life ‘I’m shipping out; a soldier said, ‘To all those protesters out there, just remember who gave you the right to protest.'”

Highland said the general consensus is not wanting the troops to have a bad reception when they come home.

“I hope when the soldiers come back they are seen as heroes,” Highland said. “I hope it is not another Vietnam.”

“I have gotten a lot of support from people I wouldn’t expect,” said Lance Cpl. Josey Long, a reservist for the Marines from Springfield.

Sgt. Nick Bettencourt, a Marine recruiter, said he hasn’t noticed an above average number of people looking to enlist.

“There may be more people walking in the door (sometimes), but our quality standards are so high that our recruiting numbers haven’t increased,” he said.

Bettencourt has been in the military for eight years. He plans to re-enlist this summer.

“People enlist not only to defend our country but to better themselves,” he said.

“I had no idea what I wanted to do when I enlisted,” Thrasher said. “But I knew there would be a nice scholarship at the end, and I wanted to leave Milwaukee.”

“It’s hard knowing you will be leaving your family behind and how much you will worry about them while you’re gone,” Long said.

Long is married with an eight-month-old daughter.

“But that is why we signed up, to serve our country,” he said.

“We know that if we have to fight for our country, we can do it with confidence,” Bettencourt said.

“We are there to do a job, to liberate Iraq,” Highland said. “I feel it is a noble cause. Support from the U.S. will be there for years to come to help rebuild the country and the government.”

Thrasher is not bothered by some of the Iraqis protesting occupation in Iraq.

“It would be nice if they showed more courtesy, but we didn’t do it for courtesy, we did it for their freedom,” she said.

“I’m sure after the American Revolution we were rude to those who helped us, that is what you would expect. They want to get their own government together.”

Highland said he has had a great deal of support from his family.

“When I told my mom that I enlisted, she was concerned but proud and supportive,” he said. “They are getting nervous, but I have no fear. I know I will be all right. This is what I have been waiting for four years.

“Saddam will never again be the dictator of Iraq. It doesn’t matter if he is alive or dead. We are in the process of winning. The age of Saddam is over.”