Flurries hand Lions handicap

Tug Baker, senior, reads the green on the 18th hole at the Crossroads tournament.

After playing on California golf courses, the men of Lions Golf held the Crossroads of American Invitational at Twin Hills Golf Course on April 7-8.

Central Missouri State University, Washburn University, Missouri Western State College, Truman State University, Pittsburg State University, Southwest Baptist University, University of Missouri Rolla and Northeastern Oklahoma State all attended the tournament.

Cold and windy weather with a few flurries served as a handicap all the players faced during the tournament.

“It was hard to concentrate,” said senior marketing major Tug Baker. “Especially when you had no feelings in your hands.”

Freshman Kellen Bollinger said the weather was bad but was the same for everyone competing.

The Lions tied for second place in the tournament with Washburn University. Their final score after both rounds was 627 strokes. CMSU finished first in the tournament with 617 strokes. Senior business management major Mickey Carpenter of Southern placed fifth in the top twenty players at the Invitational with 153 total strokes. Sophomore Danny Sinksen finished eighth with 155 strokes, and Senior Kyle Long finished with 157 strokes, landing at tenth place.

Bollinger thought the team did well but could have done a lot better.

“Things don’t always go your way,” said Bollinger.

Bollinger, junior John Dugger, sophomore Andy Koehler, and freshman Nick Marks all competed individually in the tournament. Their stroke totals did not affect the teams outcome.

The men are now preparing for the District 5 Invitational on Monday and Tuesday at Ironhorse Golf Course in Leawood, Kan.

“Our top five players have been playing pretty well for the most part,” said Baker. “We just need to quit throwing away shots here and there.”

The top 4 players that will be competing include Baker, Long, Carpenter and Sinksen. The team is unsure who the fifth player will be in districts. The Lions will competing against many teams from the region.

“If you play well in the district tournament,” said Baker, “it helps you get a bid for the regional tournament.”

The men hope to compete well as a team, but also individually. Golf practice takes place everyday, and the Lions play a full round of golf.

“I’m hitting the ball really solid right now and putting really well,” said Baker.