Senate spends excess funds

At the last Student Senate business meeting of the semester eight organizations asked for funding allocations.

Parliamentary procedure had to be amended in order recognize the four groups requesting funding in new business.

Kappa Alpha Order requested a $1,000 allocation to aid in paying for convention costs at the biannual leadership conference held in Tampa, Fla., Aug. 6-9. Six members will be attending the conference.

Sigma Pi Fraternity requested $1,000 to attended Sigma Pi University in Vincennes, Ind. The school is used to teach members of Sigma Pi techniques to improve individual chapters.

“The focus of the trip will be to focus on aspects of Greek life on campus and alumni relations,” said Ryan Dexter, spokesperson for the group. “We have a lot of alumni who have left and we want to bring them back to the chapter and the College to enhance activities on campus.”

Collegiate Music Educators National Conference requested $1,000 reimbursement for lodging expenses incurred at the annual convention held in January 2003 at Tan-Tar-A Resort in Osage Beach.

The Sociology Club requested $1,000 to offset the expenses of traveling to Chicago, Ill for the Midwest Sociological Society Meetings April 16-19.

“This is an opportunity for the College to get recognition in a professional conference,” said Michelle Schodde, spokesperson for the group.

Students will have the opportunity to investigate graduate programs available in the Midwest.

Senate finance committee recommended a $1,000 allocation for each group. The recommendations passed unanimously.

Lambda Epsilon Chi, the legal studies club requested $1,000 to attend a seminar on Ethics, Bankruptcy, Corporate Main-tenance and Complex Litigation on June 6, at Lake Ozark. Finance committee recommended a $1,000 allocation, it passed unanimously.

Collegiate Middle Level Association requested a $200 reimbursement for travel expenses to the annual board meeting at national headquarters in Columbus, Ohio, in April.

“The Missouri Southern chapter of CMLA was the first chapter recognized in the the nation,” said John Smith speaker for the group.

CMLA had requested and received $475 from Senate but wanted to recoup the difference in airfare and unexpected convention fees from the trip.

The finance committee recommended the $200 allocation. The recommendation was passed unanimously.

World Issues for Study by Educators requested a $200 reimbursement for a trip taken last semester to Washington, D.C. Student Senate had appropriated $800 in the fall of 2002.

Finance committee recommended $200 and it was unanimously allocated.

Comparative Education and Cultures of Italy requested $1,000 for 21 students to visit Pisa and the Catacombs during an intersession trip to Italy.

Senate decided to table the request because the club consists mainly of students enrolled in a for-credit intersession class. Due to funding being provided through the Institute of International Studies, Senate consensus was that since a majority of the funding was provided by the College, it was Senate’s responsibility to contribute to the expense. In part, Senate’s decision was based on the fact the club has not had an approved constitution for six months. The club was formed in September 2002, its constitution was approved in November 2002. The group had requested funding last semester and was not allocated funding due to not meeting the six-month requirement as well as being a club consisting mainly of students in a for-credit class.

In other news, the committee on equality took its bill to Faculty Senate on Monday.

“The bill has been tabled, which shows me they are open to the intent behind it,” said Trent Dobrauc, senior senator. “They don’t think it is worded correctly to show the intent. Faculty members gave pointers on how they would like to see it passed.”

Four senators were nominated for the Outstanding Senator award.

“The award is finalized though Dean Carnahan,” he said. “The award will be presented next week (April 16) at the Senate picnic.”

Elections for Senate officers will be held April 14-15 in Billingsly Student Center, Room 211.