Concerns arise about war while students journey

While three groups of Missouri Southern students were in Europe during spring break, problems were stirring back home in America – the U.S. went to war with Iraq.

When war breaks, parents like to have their children near. At least that’s what Rod Surber, public information office director, was hearing from several parents whose children were far from home.

“Some were quite concerned,” Surber said.

As a parent, he said he could understand why the parents were worried and wanted their children close at such a time.

Two groups of students were in Paris and one group was in Italy when the news of war broke. Sue Scheurich’s daughter, Elizabeth, was with one of the groups in Paris.

“I was worried,” Sue said.

Another terrorist attack, threats against Americans, flight cancellations, she was concerned about these possibilities.

“I was anxious to get her home,” she said.

Sue talked with other parents whose children were on the same trip, and they assured her Southern would do what was needed get her daughter home safely. Elizabeth spoke with Sue often and told her she hadn’t encountered any hostilities with the French.

Sue said she was thankful everyone got home safely.

Elizabeth, junior communications major, said she knew the College wouldn’t let them fly if it wasn’t safe. The students were given an option to return home early, but no one decided to take that route.

“We knew we were safe,” she said, “and we were having a good time.”

Dr. Paul Teverow, professor of history, was the faculty sponsor for one of the groups in Paris. He said he never saw any anti-American sentiment while in France and with the war being more than 1,000 miles away, didn’t foresee any risks with international flights.

“I do not believe that those of us who were in Paris were at any more risk than those who were back in the United States,” Teverow said.

Surber said the College was prepared to make arrangements if a student wanted to come home early or if the students were unable to fly home because of travel advisories.

Nadine Hermann, also a mother of a student who went to Paris, said she called the Homeland Security Branch to find out about the travel conditions. She was told the airlines wouldn’t stop flights unless the United States issued a code red alert.

She found out from Surber that the College had a contingency plan if the students had to stay longer in Europe.

“I knew the school wouldn’t put the kids in danger,” Hermann said.

Her son, Jonathon Beville, sophomore communications major, said he’d have gone to Paris even if the war had started before he left, and he wasn’t worried about any type of terrorist retaliation.

“We were all having such a great time,” he said.

Beville said all the French people he talked with were friendly and welcoming and he was glad he had the opportunity to visit Paris.