Band creates metal with diversity

Matt Comer, senior mass communication major (left), and Dennis Clements, senior Spanish major, practice for their new band´s debut show at 8 p.m. on Saturday, at Cully´s in Springfield. The band, Crimson Sky, is a trio of Missouri Southern students.

In a room lined with The Beatles’ posters, classic metal is reborn.

The new three-piece band, Crimson Sky, is made up of Missouri Southern students.

They have never played a show together, so, as of yet, they are pretty well unheard of.

They are an unlikely bunch of musicians. Matt Comer, senior mass communications major, looks reserved and silly.

In this setting, he is transformed into a madman, sweat flying, falling to his knees, while screaming vocals into the mic with an intensity not his own.

Dennis Clements, senior Spanish major, seems to be born for this role.

Tattooed and pierced, he plays a small black electric guitar with jagged edges, reminiscent of the band KISS.

He orchestrates the chaos that they call practice

riffs that the rest of the band builds on.

Andy Tevis, junior mass communications major, the quiet, shy guy from Idaho, looks clean cut with short hair and emo band T-shirts, but beats

mercilessly at the drum set, arms flailing, eyes

burning with intensity.

Unlike most garage bands, they practice in a small upstairs room in Clements’ parents’ house.

Their music can be heard all the way down the block.

The dream for Crimson Sky was born one semester in a class that Clements and Comer shared.

“We would always go in every day and do hip-hop beats on the desk and people would rap to it,” Clements said.

The band reached completion at a party spring semester this year when Clements met Tevis.

“I was dancing on a table at this party, drunk, and I was like, ‘hey, we should start a band,'” Clements said. “And that was the first time I ever met Andy, at that party, in my underpants.”

The band may be new, but not without experience. Tevis is a former member of the Idaho band, “Against All Odds,” and Comer was in the New York hardcore band “KOS.”

With all of their different styles and backgrounds, the band said there is a lot of adapting going on during their practices.

The band practiced several times during the spring semester and then regrouped this fall after summer break.

Because of this, they are hesitant to limit themselves to one genre of music.

“I wouldn’t put a label on us,” Comer said. “Andy has a big punk-rock, emo background, Dennis is gothic metal, and my major influences are New York City hardcore bands that pull in some melodic vocals.”

Crimson Sky’s debut show will be at 8 p.m., Saturday, at Cully’s in Springfield.

The band practices a couple hours at Clements’ house two to three times a week. They have four solid original songs right now, but should have seven by the time of the show.

The show at Cully’s is dedicated to Jeff Pryor, a friend of Comer’s who recently passed away, leaving his young son fatherless.

“We’re going to try and set up a memorial fund for him where hopefully people will drop donations for him,” Comer said.

An album is planned to be released in December on the band’s own label, Root Down Records.

Comer thinks Crimson Sky’s diversity has something special to offer listeners.

“We’re all from different music scenes,” he said. “It’s just a big collaboration of a bunch of different styles, and I think it meshes well.”

Clements promises a good time to those who make the trip to see their first show.

“Come to the show, it’ll be fun, it’ll be crazy,” he said. “We like to have a good time, and we’re gonna be nutty.”