Low interest wastes student activity fee

Jerry Manter

Jerry Manter

Don’t worry.

I won’t use this column space to stress how important it is to be involved with the University. I won’t waste anyone’s time.

I won’t talk about how disappointing it is to see the turnout at Missouri Southern events.

I won’t mention how our football stadium is usually full of Southern alumni and members of the Joplin community.

Ever wonder whom our cheerleaders are cheering to? Couldn’t be hundreds of students. Oh wait; it’s probably old man Hutchinson – class of 1958.

It’s not just sports either. How many of you have heard about the MTV show “The Real World?”

Our Campus Activities Board members, bless their hearts, were able to nab one of the cast members from the Back to New York season.

When I listened to cast member Malik Cooper, I often thought about his national talk tour he was giving to college campuses around the country. I wanted to ask him whether or not he’s given speeches to more than 12 students (roughly how many showed up at his talk in Webster Auditorium).

I won’t write about how unfortunate it is.

Maybe I’m just blowing things out of proportion. I mean, maybe it’s a good thing our biggest participation isn’t the big game, or the award-winning speakers we often have on campus. Everyone knows what I’m talking about – it’s those free picnics thrown a couple times a year.

I’m down with a free lunch. Who isn’t?

But folks I think it’s really embarrassing to see how quiet the gymnasium is when our men’s and women’s basketball programs hit the court.

I think it’s horrible that Southern students care more about a tasteless burger and potato chips than showing school spirit.

We’re a university now. Let’s act like one and start showing up to events and make use of the $25 activity fee everyone pays.

There are a couple big events coming up. Looks like the Pittsburg State University football squad is heading on over for a little game known as the Miner’s Bowl at Hughes Stadium.

Psst. For those who don’t know, Hughes Stadium is that big building on the east side of campus that resembles a football stadium.