Deans develop master’s degrees, await approval

Dr. Julio León, University President

Dr. Julio León, University President

The Missouri Southern Board of Governors was updated on the development of master’s degree programs at the Board meeting held on Sept. 19.

The University signed a Memorandum of Understanding with officials from Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville.

“This is an umbrella agreement that commits both institutions to working on master’s degrees in early childhood education, biology, information technology, physical education and recreation,” said University President Julio León.

With the umbrella agreement in place, further development of graduate programs is on a dean-to-dean level between coordinating universities.

Once finalized, individual programs will be submitted to the Coordination Board for Higher Education for approval.

“Negotiations are also taking place with University of Missouri – Kansas City and Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg to establish other graduate programs including criminal justice and dental hygiene,” León said.

Graduate programs will be available mostly, if not solely, through distance learning modes as early as the fall semester of 2004.

In other news, Board members received information on the Missouri Southern Foundation capital campaign.

“The goal of the campaign is to raise $7.6 million in the next five years,” León said. “More than $3 million has already been pledged.We hope to be well over $8 million far before the five-year mark.”

Areas targeted for betterment from the campaign funds include: the international mission, technology equipment and athletic/student recreational facilities as well as faculty and staff development.

Up-to-date equipment is needed to make the television station, KXMS, digital, as well as maximize educational opportunities, León said.

There was an amendment to the August meeting’s minutes, originally it was said it cost $240,000 to repave the parking lot, the actual figure was $80,000.

Stacey Allen, student representative, attended the meeting. She brought information for the Board members on student participation and attendance in student activities on campus such as Gang Green and Student Senate. She also distributed calendars denoting specific events such as Natural High Week.

“I want to keep the governors up-to-date on what is happening on campus and what the students are doing,” Allen said.

Following the meeting, members took a tour of Webster Hall.