‘Amazing’ program retains students

Some Missouri Southern students have more to look forward to this year, as the United States Department of Education has awarded an additional $30,000 grant to supplement the current budget of Project Stay.

Project Stay, now beginning its third year at Southern, is made possible by a four-year grant from the Department of Education.

Susan Craig, director of Project Stay, said the money received in this most recent grant would be used to supplement financial aid for the 160 students in the program as well as purchase new equipment.

“We do what we need to do to help students graduate,” Craig said.

Students will receive a minimum payment of $400 per semester. Students will have to design and participate in a community service project as part of their eligibility for the additional grant money.

“I think it’s really important if students are going to receive grant money, that they earn it,” she said. “It is a way of giving back to the community, it seems an appropriate way to do that is community service.”

The program is designed to keep those students identified as likely to not complete their degrees on track for graduation.

The groups targeted include students with disabilities and first generation college students.

First generation students are those students who are the first in their families to attend a college or university.

Students who meet certain income requirements are also eligible for the program. Students enrolled in the program must maintain at least a 2.2 cumulative grade point average, and have completed less than 60 credit hours.

“The program is amazing,” said Michelle Hall, junior nursing major. “When I first got into the program I didn’t realize all Project Stay had to offer, but they do whatever it takes to help the students.”

“We’ve been very pleased with retention rates,” Craig said. “We are always meeting and exceeding expectations.”

Students enrolled in the program have access to tutoring and academic advising to fit their needs.

Project Stay also offers equipment loans, such as computers and calculators, to students.

“Non-traditional students aren’t always able to make it back to campus because of children and other responsibilities,” Craig said.

“Hopefully by the end of the year, everyone will know what Project Stay is and the opportunities that are available,” Hall said.

Southwest Missouri State University, Crowder College and the University of Arkansas offer similar programs paid through Department of Education grants.