Organization announces events for spring

The Campus Activities Board’s Sept. 10 meeting focused primarily on Fire Chief Richard Picciotto’s presentation at 7 p.m. that night.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, said she expected a good crowd because some instructors are offering extra credit for attending and all of the EMT, firefighter and police force classes have been canceled for the event.

“I really think we are going to have a good turnout tonight,” Blackford said. “It could be 200, it could be 1,200. I hope it’s closer to 1,200.”

It was announced that the Missouri state fire marshall would introduce Picciotto before the presentation.

During the meeting, volunteers were assigned jobs ranging from helping with the book table after the presentation to introducing the state fire marshall.

The memorial 9/11 service at 7:30 a.m. at the freedom flag was discussed.

After the immediate business was decided, discussion turned to the “Fall Frenzy” scheduled for Wednesday. Five-hundred CAB mugs will be given away at the event. In conjunction with the new food service, Sodexho, the mugs may be refilled with any beverage in the Lion’s Den for 25 cents. These mugs are only free to students. Anyone interested may purchase a mug in the Lion’s Den for $2.85.

Karaoke night is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Billingsly Student Center. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the evening for the best group and individual performers.

The Gang Green all-campus tailgate party begins at 4:30 p.m. and will provide free food to all Missouri Southern students who show their student IDs. Faculty members are also welcome but will be charged a small fee.

The event is put on by CAB, but will emphasize Gang Green and try to recruit members. Sixteen people were present at the meeting that lasted 20 minutes.

The next CAB meeting is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday.