Six e-mail stations make way to BSC

Students interested in grabbing lunch, having their resumé looked over and wanting to check their e-mail all in the same building are in luck.

By the week of Oct. 6, six computers will be up and running on the second floor in the Billingsly Student Center. Internet will be accessible at the stations.

“We just thought it was time to have e-mail stations for students,” said Julie Blackford, director of student services. “Students who hang out in Billingsly don’t have an area to check e-mail.”

The six computers are costing Southern about $8,000.

University carpenters are constructing the working stations.

“Having our own people do the work helps us keep the costs down,” Blackford said.

The computer stations have been in the works since 1998 when the Lion’s Den was remodeled. Due to budget reasons, the project was placed on a five-year hold. The computer stations have been nicknamed as being a cyber café, however, no food or beverages will be sold.

Dr. Terri Agee, vice president for business affairs, approved the project.

“We’re trying to enhance technology around campus,” Agee said “We’re trying to meet the needs of students.”

Blackford said one of student services’ main goals is to serve students, but it also enjoys seeing as many students as possible in the BSC.

“Anytime we can increase the number of students in the student union building, it is a good thing,” Blackford said.

The computers are being installed with the idea that they will be used for quick stops on the Internet.

No printers will be installed with the computers.

“These computer stations are not designed for writing papers,” she said.

The computers will be placed between the Sodexho food offices and the career services office on the second floor.

“Students will be able to check their e-mail without leaving the building,” she said.

Hillary Ross, senior secondary business education major, has worked in Billingsly for three years.

Although she has access to e-mail, she said bringing computers into the BSC is a good idea.

“It’s a good thing for students to be able to check their e-mail,” Ross said. “Some students don’t have computers at home.”