Enrollment figures decrease, space in residence halls increases

As enrollment declines, several rooms sit empty in the on-campus apartments.

Although the official enrollment figures won’t be in until Sept. 22, Dr. Delores Honey, assistant vice president for assessment and institutional research, said the preliminary enrollment numbers show that enrollment has dropped.

Missouri Southern had 5,823 students in fall 2002 and 5,188 in spring 2003. Honey said she estimates enrollment has dropped by100-200 from fall 2002.

“We don’t have record enrollment,” she said. “We don’t have a lot of numbers going up.”

She thinks decreased enrollment could be because of the “weaker” economy or because students are having problems receiving financial aid.

At full capacity, the residence halls can hold 705 students. So far, there are around 470 students staying on campus.

“We’re just a direct reflection of enrollment,” said Deb Gipson, director of housing. “Enrollment’s down and we’re down, too.”

In fall 2001, there were approximately 560 students living on campus; that dropped to about 460 in fall 2002. Although preliminary numbers show a slight increase to 470 on-campus students, Gipson said she’d be happier with 600-625 students in the residence halls.

“Last year was the first year in a long time that we had not filled (to capacity) at the beginning of the year,” she said.

In fall 2001, capacity was at a maximum because East Hall did not open until January 2002, creating an extra 202 rooms.

With no shortage of rooms, apartments Stone and Mitchell were taken out of circulation this semester because both buildings need repairs.

Carolyn Staat, senior middle school education major, said she thinks the reason there seems to be fewer people living on campus is the price.

She said she hears people talk about how it is cheaper to live off campus.

“I don’t see why prices went up for the residence halls,” Staat said. “If that’s what I have to pay, I guess that’s what I have to pay. I don’t get much choice in it.”

Staat is from St. Louis, so she said it’s easier for her just to live on campus, but she’s thinking about moving off campus after the spring semester.

“I can’t afford for them (the prices) to keep going up,” she said.

In fall 2001, it cost $1,900 per semester (including all meals) for a room at Blaine, McCormick or an apartment. This semester, a room at Blaine or McCormick (including a 20-meal plan) cost $2,240, or $2,440 for an apartment room.

Gipson said she’s spoken with housing directors from around the state, and it isn’t just Southern that is experiencing a decrease in enrollment and housing.

“It’s a nationwide phenomenon,” she said.

However, she doesn’t expect numbers to continue to decline.

“We really just think it’s a temporary thing,” Gipson said.