Southern fraternities offer students friendships for life

Josh Stout, senior computer information science major, greets students during Fall Frenzy.

Even without frat houses, Missouri Southern’s Greeks manage to have a good time and still do things for the community.

The University is home to four fraternities and sororities. The male population of the University can chose between Kappa Alpha and Sigma Pi. Females can chose between Alpha Sigma Alpha and Zeta Tau Alpha.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, said there are currently around 50 men and 50 women who are members of the groups. She said people should disregard the bad reputation that many fraternities have, because Southern’s live up to a different reputation. The Greeks at Southern don’t just party all the time.

“They’re starting to do a lot to support the college,” Blackford said. “They know how to go out and have a good time, but they do community work.”

She said the groups go into the community and help with various projects.

In the past, various events and projects have included the Special Olympics, Boys and Girls Club and muscular dystrophy. Each fraternity and sorority has its own choice of projects.

The fraternity scene is nothing new to Southern.

Doug Carnahan, dean of students, said the Greeks have been around at least 25 years. It has not always been the same ones. Originally, it was Kappa Alpha, Sigma Nu and Delta Gamma. Sigma Nu was eventually replaced by Sigma Pi, and Delta Gamma left in the mid ’80s.

“Kappa Alpha has been here pretty much the whole time,” Carnahan said.

For the last eight to nine years, the current four have been the only ones on campus.

Dr. Tom Simpson, associate professor of political science, said the numbers of people joining the frats is changing as well. He said they aren’t “attracting the numbers they used to.”

Simpson is the faculty adviser and a member of Sigma Pi. He thinks students should check out the different organizations on campus.

“Some universities wouldn’t argue that,” Simpson said. “Here, I would.”

He said there is a good chance a student will make a group of friends that could turn out to be “like brothers.” He also said academics and service are “pretty big” for the fraternities.

Rather than just choosing a certain group right off, Simpson said students should look around at the others. He said the fraternities are always willing to help the potential members to pay for the dues.

Chris Stratten, senior mathematics/computer information science major, is the president of Kappa Alpha.

He has been in the organization for five years. Originally, he joined it to meet new people outside of his normal social group. It worked.

“I’ve met friends that I will have the rest of my life,” Stratten said.

Along with fraternities sometimes comes parties and mischief. Carnahan said that isn’t the case at Southern. He said there has been the “occasional” problem, but nothing big.

“They’ve used poor judgment in the past,” he said.

In recent years, he said the problems associated with drinking have decreased as well. He attributes part of the lack of problems to the fact that hazing has been banned on a national level by the organizations.

“It’s just not allowed anymore,” he said.

Stratten said the group is always looking for new members, even though the official Rush is over.

“Rush is a 365 days a year thing,” he said. “There’s always an open space.”