Officials change residence hall liquor policy, penalty in hopes of deterring on-campus, underage drinking

Officials at Missouri Southern spent the summer revamping the residence hall’s alcohol policy.

Deb Gipson, coordinator of student housing, said she spent six to eight weeks working with her resident advisers to come up with a new rule regarding alcohol violations on campus. She said they wanted to “give it a little more teeth.” In help with coming up with the new rules, the group looked at other schools’ policies, sanctions and consequences for violations.

“We tried to bring things a little more in line with where our counterparts are sitting,” Gipson said.

In the past, students were given three chances, depending on the circumstances. On the first violation, they were written up and received a letter from Doug Carnahan, dean of students. On the second offense, they were put on probation, and on the third offense they were suspended.

The new policy brings the Student Support Center and campus security into the process. On a student’s first alcohol offense, they are given the choice between going to the Student Support Center Basics Evaluation or a $25 fine. Kelly Wilson, director of the Student Support Center, said the evaluation is actually two sessions designed to look into the student’s reason for violating the policy.

“We’re looking to see if a student is struggling with alcohol issues,” she said.

The center wants to determine if the student has an alcohol problem, or is just “experimenting” with it. Wilson is happy with being included in the process.

“This is the first time we’re on the entry level,” she said. “We’re excited to be on the front end.”

On a student’s second offense, they have the choice between attending a program with Ken Kennedy, manager of safety and security, and a $25 fine, or paying a $50 fine. Kennedy’s program is a one-hour session that includes a PowerPoint presentation and film on alcohol and its effects on the body.

Kennedy said he was also pleased with the new policy.

“I think it’s a very positive thing that we’re doing, to try to safeguard the health of the students,” he said.

Kennedy also said a more strict approach is being taken with minors. Now, on the first offense, minors get their parents notified. He said Southern, as well as numerous other colleges, are trying to reduce underage drinking. He thinks the number of violations will go up, not because more people will be doing it, but because the SA’s are enforcing the rule more.

“We’re being more aggressive in the enforcement,” he said.

Kennedy also said more programs would be implemented throughout the school year to combat the alcohol problem.

On the third offense, the student will be put on probation and receive a $100 fine. Depending on the severity of the situation, they may also be suspended from school. If the student is put on probation, they will be suspended on the fourth violation.

Carnahan said there is a “very small percentage of repeaters.”

“Most students get the message after the first initial warning,” he said.

Gipson said last year they had a total of 72 first time alcohol violations. Only 18 of those repeated the offense.

Four came back for a third offense, and only one committed a fourth offense. Adam Griffin said three-fourths of the total violations issued on campus are alcohol related. He believes the new policy will work.

“I think it’ll be more effective,” he said.

So far, there have only been two violations of the policy.