Career Day offers more than just new pens

Anne Lerche, senior personnel associate of the Missouri Rehabilitation Center, assists Robi Woods, freshman nursing major.

Instead of students pounding the pavement looking for a job, employers came to the students.

The annual Missouri Southern Career Development Day was held Wednesday on the third floor of Billingsly Student Center.

More than 70 employers and graduate schools visited the campus to meet with students in the process of career planning, said Pat Hurley, director of career services.

Leggett & Platt, The Joplin Globe, Southwest Missouri Bank and Zimmer Radio Group were some of the employers represented at the fair. Graduate schools from Southwest Missouri State University, Pittsburg State University and the University of Tulsa were also represented.

“I was helping with Project Stay and was interested in what booths were set up for future job opportunities,” said Jane Roark, junior sociology major.

She said the fair also offered breakout sessions coordinated with academic departments.

Breakout sessions were held for such career areas as technical medical fields, finance, computer science, biology and mass communications.

Lynsey Schwabrow, career services coordinator, said her office tried to have as many majors represented in the breakout sessions as possible.

The event offered career information more than positions available. The career fair is intended for students at any stage of career planning, she said.

“I’m only a freshman, but I thought it might be useful to start looking early,” said Erin Gfeller, undecided major.

This year was the 14th time the University has offered the program.

Hurley said the career fair is designed to help students learn what they may do with their major.

Between 1,000-1,500 students attend the event each year, she said.

“Employers notice who attend and make the effort,” Schwabrow said.

“The career fair provides an opportunity to get to know the students at Missouri Southern and get our name out by providing information for students who are considering law school,” said Carrie English, recruiter for University of Kansas Law School.

Eager students with a quality education attract employers to the fair.

“We come here specifically for the respiratory therapy, radiology and nursing program,” said Patty Lamery, human resources recruiter for Saint Francis Health Systems in Tulsa. “Southern has excellent programs, we like to hire from here.”

The hospital has hired more than 15 graduates from Southern in the past two years.