Southern loses nursing student

Chris Custer

Chris Custer

Missouri Southern lost a promising nursing student. Chris Custer, sophomore nursing major, age 42 of Joplin, died Oct. 24.

Custer’s death is currently under investigation as a possible suicide, said Donna Martin, Nevada resident, and Custer’s cousin.

“Of all the people, I can’t believe it, it just wasn’t like my friend,” said Charolett Johnson, freshman nursing major.

“She was a very giving person – always there to help anyone through anything.”

Services were held Oct. 27 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Nevada. Burial was held in Click Cemetery, Nevada.

“It was an overflowing funeral,” Martin said. “There were so many people who loved and cared for her; it was unreal the people who came out for her.”

Johnson and Custer met in class and became close friends.

“Besides my husband, she was my best friend,” Johnson said.

Shortly after her high school graduation in 1978, Custer earned her LPN degree at Nevada Regional Technical Center in Nevada.

She later worked at Nevada Regional Medical Center as a surgery nurse.

She returned to Southern to earn her bachelor’s in nursing in 2001.

“Her death was a surprise to everyone,” Johnson said. “We had even planned next semester’s classes.”

Custer wanted to teach nursing when she graduated.

“One of the biggest tragedies is nobody had a clue,” said Dr. William Black, assistant professor of biology. “It’s a lesson learned, don’t hold it in; there is help you just have to find it.”

Custer was originally from Havelock, N.C. She moved to Missouri with her family.

Custer was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She had served on a mission trip to North Carolina.

“She was smart, the life of everything, kept a smile on everyone’s face,” Martin said, Nevada. “She was my support.”

Custer was the one to turn to with a problem, Martin said. She said Custer wanted to help everyone and she didn’t ask for herself.

“We are all in this boat together,” Black said. “We have to help each other.”

“Everyone would have been there for her, it leaves you wondering ‘What did I not do?'” Martin said.