Graduation expo celebrates seniors with party theme

Kelly Wilson, Student Support Center Director

It’s time to help the graduating seniors move out the door.

With around 250 students showing up at Spring 2003’s graduation expo and around 350 students graduating in December, Kelly Wilson, director of student support services, is expecting another large turnout for the event. Last spring was the first time the expo was held at Missouri Southern.

“It far exceeded my expectations of students coming,” Wilson said.

The expo will be held Wednesday in the student lounge of Billingsly Student Center. Wilson said the event is going to be set up like a party to honor the graduating seniors.

“We do it in a festive way,” she said. “We want to celebrate them.”

Amanda Atnip, senior general studies major, is coming to the event to “find a job.” She heard about the expo through an e-mail and postings around campus.

She is hoping to talk with the businesses at the expo to present her job résumé and get her foot in the door for after graduation.

“They are more apt to call you if they’ve met you personally,” Atnip said.

Also for seniors will be places where they can finish up the little things required for graduation that they might have forgotten, like ordering their caps and gowns or signing up for an exit interview.

“It’s a good way to get those small things done,” Wilson said.

Jostens, CB Graduation Announcements, the Alumni Association and the business office are just a few of the scheduled booths, as well as information on graduate schools.

The business office will also be set up to make sure students do not have any financial discrepancies on their account they need to take care of before December.

The business office booth will have a Mardi Gras theme and will be handing out beads and such.

“They’re excited to maybe be seen in a different light,” Wilson said.

Drawings will also be held for items from the bookstore, Jostens, CB and different restaurants and hotels in town. Wilson said she hopes the seniors will feel “appreciated” by the event.

“Just come,” she said. “Be celebrated.”

The event will run from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and then from 4-7 p.m. to accommodate all interested.

Mock interviews will also be held from 9 a.m.-noon.