Foundation prepares for Phonathon

Curt Betebenner, Director of Southern Foundation

Changes and improvements are coming to the annual Missouri Southern Foundation Phonathon.

Curt Betebenner, foundation director, said he is taking a new approach this year to aid with the capital campaign.

Dr. Beverly Block is the faculty co-chair for the fund-raising efforts.

“She is going to head up that effort to identify chairs in different schools to maximize faculty involvement,” Betebenner said.

Of the $108,000 raised in last year’s Phonathon, approximately 11 percent came from faculty donations.

“We are hoping the faculty appeal will work out well,” he said. “We plow the money right back into their own programs.”

“Something else we are doing differently this year is encouraging the multi-payment gift pledge over a three-year period,” Betebenner said.

Thirty percent of last year’s pledges were multi-gift pledges.

The goal of this year’s Phon-a-thon is $200,000.

“We know some of the money will come in over the next 3 years,” he said. “But this will be a jump start for the Capital Campaign.”

The Foundation will be employing 30 students to work the phones starting Nov. 25 through the end of April.

The flexible schedule appeals to the students.

“It allows me to earn a little extra money,” said Heather Hilton, sophomore nursing major. “It pays more than other on campus jobs, and I can work around my class schedule.”

Hilton worked on the Phon-a-thon last year and is returning this year.

“It’s a good way to network and build contacts,” she said.

Last year, Hilton talked to a research nurse who told her to keep her phone number as a future contact.

“I encouraged some of my friends to apply,” she said.

Betebenner encourages student callers to build rapport on the phones.

“The most important thing is not whether we get a gift or not, but whether the person we called felt good about the call when they hang up,” Betebenner said.

One of the biggest problems with organizing the Phon-a-thon is the database is always deteriorating.

Betebenner routinely has the phone list updated to keep good leads on file.

Although the Phon-a-thon is one of the most expensive ways to raise money, Betebenner believes it is beneficial for both the students and the University and is well worthwhile.

“It cost about $10,000 to fund but it’s worth it,” he said. “I don’t worry about the money for the students, that’s not really and expense, it just cuts out the middle man.”